Join Us in Despair

You know when you were a kid and your diary was full of angst and woe-is-me-ness? That is what this blog is for. Lost your job, dog is sick, someone stole your parking spot, crashed your car, just generally glum? This is the place to put all that lovely grey and those long drawn out sighs.

Lists of sad songs. Depressing movie reviews. Top ten reason to stay in bed. All things not happy. Bring them here.

Are you sick, are you tired? Have you been sick & tired for a year? Share it here. Unhappy, gloomy, dismal, down in the dumps, miserable only. Did you have a bad day, a month... share. Not that tragedy and despair can't be funny, contributors are welcome to make their posts goofy, witty, laugh-out-loudable, just not happy or upbeat.

Would you like to be part of the DD&D project? Do you have a sad story, a rant, a poem of a lost love? Join us as a contributor.


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy Happy Awards

I am going to break my own rules and share with you some of my exciting and happy news...

In the last hour I have become unbelievably rich just by checking my email...

LUCKY NUMBERS: 8-4-1-9-0-0-5-12
Be informed that you emerged a winner of €1,000,000 (One million Euro) which was conducted this year.ashleythompson06@googlemail.com for more details. - I just need to send them a cashiers check for some random amount to collect my winnings.

Dear Sir/Madam, My name is Mr.West Bernard, and I work in the International operation department in a Local Bank here in South Africa On a routine inspection, I discovered a dormant domiciliary account with a BAL Of 36,000,000 (Thirty Six Million USD) on further discreet investigation I also discovered that the account holder has long since passed away(DEAD)leaving no beneficiary to the account the bank will approve this money to any foreigner because the former operator of the A/c is a foreigner and from Iraq in particular and I am certainly sure that he is DEAD and nobody will come again for the claim of this money it is only a foreigner that can claim this money with propear information. I need your cooperation to clear this money from the bank. - All I need to do is give them my bank account number and password.

This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract file presently on my desk, and I found out that you have not received your payment due to your lack of co-operation and not fulfilling the obligations giving to you in respect to your payment.
We will send you an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw your money via ATM MACHINE in any part of the world, and the maximum daily limit is ($1,000) However, Note that this method of payment will be granted if it is acceptable to you for the release of your contract/inheritance entitlement.
In View of this, you are advised to contact the Director(CBN, IRD,and ATM) DR.PAUL ADIM for further information with the following contact details; (dr.pauladim.cbn1@gmail.com)
You are required to provide the following information:
(1) Your Full Name(2) Full residential address(3) Phone And Fax Number(4) Occupation(5) Age
- Well now I better hurry I have already not been co-operative. I can't wait to be co-operative now so that I can get all this money.

We are pleased to inform you that your e-mail address has won the Swiss On-lineLottery. Therefore you have been approved for a lump sum payout ( £1, 500000.00 ) One Million Five Hundred Thousand Pounds Sterling in the Swiss On-lineLottery program held on 12th January 2009, and released today 14th January 2009. - WOW... two lotteries in one day!!!

So perhaps I will offer up all my bank account numbers, my name, address, phone numbers, first born bambino, toe rings, and a lock of my hair just to be sure I get all these wonderfully kind people want to send me.

What could possibly go wrong with that, these seem like very upfront and honest offers?

P.S. And I just got one more...

However, I hereby seek your consent to cooperate with me so that I canprovide you the winning information that won the prize funds of8,497,985 to enable you apply for the claim of the funds. Once the funds ispaid to you, Our mode of sharing will be on a 50......... 50 basis. i.e 50%will be for me while the remaining 50% will be for you.
All I require from you is your honest cooperation and confidentiality inthis regard to enable us see this transaction through. I guarantee thatthis will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protectyou from any breach of the law as I have mapped out all plans to ensure weclaim this funds without any trace in the future.
I look forward to your quick response while thanking you for youranticipated co-operation.
Best regards,Agent Smith - Oh, AGENT Smith, that make him official and I am sure legit.

_________________________________

Okay, the sad part of this post... people fall for this crap. And while these offers are entirely outrageous and easily deleted as Spam, which I did do. Some that come into our email are not so easy to detect. Some cons on the internet suck people in every day. That email that looked exactly like an email from my bank that warned of a credit card charge on my account that was fraudulant. I almost trusted, I almost followed their link. A girl at work actually deposited the cashier check for the car she was selling online and sent the guy back his "extra" money (about $500 I think) that he "mistakenly" wrote the check for. When the cashier's check bounced, she was just out the money.

Be aware, make your parents and children and friends aware, of the cons and the frauds. A good, really good con, can catch anyone unaware.

A few links that might help if you are thinking I really should contact Agent Smith.
http://www.fraud.org/internet/inttip/inttip.htm
http://www.scambusters.org/
http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/cyberfraud.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/internetschemes.htm

2 comments:

Heather said...

HEY! I just realized that your comment box says..."as long as it's not cheery".

{raspberry to you LJ} I was going to say GOOD POST but I suppose I still will because you've also broken the rules with your Happy Happy title...hahahahaha.

I agree...it's a terrible shame that people actually believe this stuff.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

There is so much of this garbage out there. It is so sad that people are desperate enough to fall for this stuff. Some of them do seem really legite. But if one stops and thinks, a bank doesn't send you information about your account that way. And if you didn't enter the lotto, how could you have won it? And, and.....auuggghhh, cruel people anyhow, taking advantage of people that way.